In the first ruling of its kind in Ontario, on 27 January 2023 the Ontario Superior Court of Justice found that the Region of Waterloo’s attempt to evict encampment residents at 100 Victoria St. N was a violation of Charter rights (CV-22-717). Moderated by Laura Pin, , this panel discussion considers why this case matters for housing rights in Canada. On the panel are one of of the named respondents, the lead lawyers in the case plus academic and community experts.
- Lesley Crompton, Unsheltered Campaign
- Erin Dej, Wilfrid Laurier University
- Shannon Down, Waterloo Region Community Legal Services
- Jenn Draper, Named Respondent
- Charlene Lee, Unsheltered Campaign
- Ashley Schuitema, Waterloo Region Community Legal Services
Moderated by Laura Pin, Assistant Professor in Political Science, Wilfrid Laurier University